Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Warm weather in the UK early season training

Interesting couple of nights... This week or so has been dry and increasingly warm culminating today with a sunny day and the temperature around the 25 degrees centigrade mark. Running up to the weekend just gone Joe and I did some work on the paddock and from Monday it's been dry enough to bowl on so we've been out there in the evenings having a practice.

Last night I took a big bag out with 80 balls in and we were both trying to hit a target that was about a foot square on the right kind of length in front of the stumps. Joe did well hit it several times and the stumps a few times as well with his arm balls. Me... I was useless - wides, too full, too short and depressingly no real spin, all of this following the night before when I'd bowled okay. So tonight when Michelle said that there was training over at Mopsies, part of me thought this'll be a waste of time.

We still went as last night on reflection I'd thought about my bowling... I think with 80 balls to bowl with, it's a case that I don't take it seriously and I was trying all sorts of things with no real sense of what it was that I was trying to achieve. So if we'd had gone over to the paddock I'd have taken just six balls and was intending to bowl 6 overs of six balls with a time gap in between the overs as I collected the balls up again as opposed to balling ball after ball. I was expecting that with a batsman in the nets my bowling would be better? It was.

Over the last month or so I've been practicing my "Fingery Top-Spinner" and as I get fitter with more upper body and arm strength it's been getting faster. About a week ago playing in the street with Joe using Windballs I thought that there seemed to be the potential to twist the hand and wrist with the fingery grip to possibly produce a Wrong Un which has evaded me now for some years having cured myself of the Googly Syndrome? I gave it a go and with the first attempt I produced a Googly!

Since then with the hard ball on the paddock I've given it a go a few times and it looks pretty much as though I've got a Googly back. I say a Googly, because it's not my thoroughbred Googly that I took three four-fers with in back to back games when I was at Grays and Chadwell it's a fingery version like the Top-Spinner. But nonetheless it turns and this is in week one with diminished fitness. So tonight when we turned up at Mopsies with primarily 1st team players in evidence my bowling was going to be challenged.

It was, a couple of blokes hit me out of the park into the road, but two others struggled. I cleaned bowled one of the first team players with a beautiful leg break which pitched outside leg and spun across the body/face of the bat and hit the top of off very like Warne's ball of the century with Gatting, but nowhere near as wide obviously. Everyone that saw it said it was beaut! The other bloke the captain of the 1sts I almost got him with this new Top - Spinner and then later tossed up the new Wrong Un and almost got him with that, he smiled back in respect of my bowling with both balls. So I was very pleased with that performance after last nights debacle over on the paddock.

So going forwards with a few weeks still before any games and some practice with these new deliveries things are looking good.