Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Ransomes Ajax cylinder push mower



That's the name of my new mower or rather my 2nd hand mower have a look - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ransomes-Ajax-Cylinder-push-lawn-mower_W0QQitemZ130251326048QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130251326048&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I did take some images on the way home tonight, but having cut the wicket in the dark it didn't look that clever - the edges were a bit wobbly. So tonight Ben, Joe and I went over and had a quick game, Joe bowled well and Ben batted okay, he needs to be a bit more confident about being hit by the ball, but he did seem to be listening to what I was saying about getting his head in line with the ball. The thing is no-one bowls at him hard, but he flinches if it goes anywhere near him. Maybe next year being a bit older he may toughen up a bit?

After our practice which wasn't disturbed by any of the other boys we decided we'd get the new mower out and tidy up the edges and finish off the work from last night - they both seemed to appreciate that the grass was exceedingly short and were quite thrilled at the prospect that they'd be able to have a go. So we ended up giving the wicket the final touches and making it look perfect, so I'll post the pictures at a later stage when I've got some good shots of it. All I need to do now is figure out how to make a grass bucket for it and maybe even lower the blades further.

On the theme of cutting lawns and cricket obsessiveness have a look at this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02b_xMIi3vg
And now I'm getting really carried away - this'll be grounds for divorce if I keep this up!
And it just gets better! Not content with looking at this mower more closely over the next few days, at 11.30pm I went down stairs got a cup of tea on, put a 2007 world cup video on (Sth Africa v Netherlands where Herschel Gibbs hits 6 x 6's) went out into the garage and brought the mower into the kitchen along with a bunch of spanners and started to look at whether the cut level could be lowered? Here's a few clues - this mower in some form or another has been around since the 1930's and only went out of production in the 1970's (The MK IV) having had 250,000 of them made. Who has gardens with bowling/golf green type grass?
1. Old blokes
2. People who buy mowers in B&Q's
3. Obese people
4. Chav's
Look at the list which of these people have that type of grass and which of these people would have a 40 year old mower in their shed? Yep you guessed it - the old bloke. How does he get his grass cut so short (I always wondered this myself)? Now I think I know - he's got a Ransomes Ajax mower.
Having un-bolted the front roller sliders (You can see them clearly in the photo's) it was a case of adjusting the sliders so that the blades were lowered. I could see that it was having an affect, but it wasn't until I'd done the bolt up and got down on the floor with a torch to see how much clearance there was from the carpet tiles to the blades. 2mm - yes 2mm maybe 2.5 at a push! That is incredibly low, so low it may not work me thinks. My Qualcast Panda mower gives a cut of 12mm and I've been happy with that so far - but this mower gives a 2mm cut! But I reckon the wicket wont actually be flat enough to use it at this setting - but who knows until I try it? I can't wait!

Check out my other blog here - this is all about Leg-spin bowling and nothing else. Double click on the image below.
http://www.legspinbowling.blogspot.co.uk/