Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Finger Blisters

Reading Peter Philpotts book again - The Art of Wrist Spin Bowling (As I do constantly) I came across a quote relating to the 3rd finger (the one that puts the rev's on the ball) and Philpott writes 'Those that haven't bled have never spun' or words to that affect. The thing is I've never even had a blister let alone a bleeding blister so the inference is that I'm doing something fundamentally wrong? Whereas with the Flipper when I was in the process of learning it caused deep blisters and callouses to the point where I had to stop bowling it and let the flesh heal up.

I asked the question on the forum I comment on http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t58854-78/#post342543 and jad a few responses from the blokes saying that they suffered from blisters when bowling Leg Breaks. Additionally I used to work with a girl who used to bowl good Leg Breaks and she said that at the start of every season she would have to suffer blisters till the skin hardened up and developed callouses.

If you follow this blog or one of my others that have dealt with my problems with the Googly Syndrome http://thegooglysyndrome.blogspot.com/ and my how to bowl wrist spin blog - http://legspinbowling.blogspot.com/ you'll know that I'm always changing and varying the wrist position and the grips in pursuit of the elusive 'Biggun' The Big Leg Break. Recently off the back of seeing the images several posts ago of Shane Warnes release I've kind of emphasised the contact that the 3rd finger has with the ball and brought the wrist around more so that the palm and front of the wrist faces the bat. I'm hoping that this combined with a big flick and initially bowling over a shorter distance might result in some progress with my currently weak Legbreak? But I've noticed with this new grip with the emphasis on the 3rd finger and it being a key part of the grip, there is definite potential for more finger wear and tear. So that seems to me to bode well for my spinning and that maybe at last another little piece of the jigsaw puzzle that is Legbreak bowling has slotted into place and maybe I'll be able to get more spin/turn over the next few weeks?

So what with the 2 weeks Easter break coming up starting this weekend here in the UK and some nice weather being predicted I might get myself some blisters!!! Let's hope so?

5 comments:

  1. i'm with you Dave, i've never had a blister on my ring/spin finger, and without bragging i can (not always) mostly get plenty of turn.

    maybe this is because my bigger ripping balls are a result of the finger, wrist and thumb all comming into play together and so don't rely on just the finger to impart the revolutions. just a thought. i certainly know when the thumb has helped because not only do i get much more turn, but i can see more loop and dip too. mmm mmmm you've got to love that feeling!

    stoph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,
    I used to bowl with tennis balls as a kid and got a lot of turn but never really got the chance to bowl with a leather ball(except for a couple of months when I was 14 - some 10 years ago). I've got another chance to start bowling now and find that as in the two months, my third finger develops a lot of blisters, yet I don't quite get the leg break going.
    On the other hand, If I stand and deliver with an open chested action, I do get to turn it a lot even without the blisters. Upon closer examination with the mirror, I've come to the conclusion that it is because at the point of delivery, my palm faces midwicket/squareleg and not the batsman as it is supposed to.

    Any ideas on how to get rid of this ? And as you might have guessed, I had no formal coaching so the googly, leg break are all self-taught.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shrek, I've just spent the best part of 9 months getting my wrist to be in the right position on release. It took me hours and hours to get it right - but now it's right I'm bowling better than I ever have. You've got to focus 100% on getting your wrist facing the bat. Do you know the video on youtube with the Aussie spinner - look it up david freedman, I found that to be one of the most helpful things on the internet - the bowler is Beau Casson.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks Clever Bowling

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome! escape room in plainfield

    ReplyDelete