Sunday, May 17, 2009

Leg Break development

A quick re-cap. I was suffering from the Googly syndrome and had lost my leg break. No matter what I tried to do the ball always spun away towards Leg Slip (Off-spin). Last Sept I stopped bowling Wrong Uns and focussed on recovering my Leg Break. Through trial and error I discovered that if I just bowled straight with my palm facing the batsman releasing the ball primarily so that it came off the ring finger it produced a small leg break.

All the time I've been aware that I really need to be flicking the wrist to really spin the ball hard and this came about a month or so ago and was very sporadic over very short distances, but it proved that it was possible. Then a couple of weeks ago Macca posted this description on Big Cricket - http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t58854-120/#post347546 The Traffic cop analogy combine with EOW's description of his leg break led me to trying this and it works.

Additionally a couple of days ago I reported this - http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2009/05/break-through.html and it seems as though I'm now at last getting it together. I'm now going to be working exclusively on the Traffic Cop Leg Break technique and the Big Flick with a view to being able to bowl these a decent line and length by the beginning of July. Things are looking good.

2 comments:

  1. well mate, i certainly know what you mean about googly syndrome; i play with a young bloke that CAN'T bowl a leg break, only wrong uns!

    he gets so frustrated!

    i'm closer to the opposite; my leggies are consistent but to get a consistently breaking the other way i have to really drop my head and get my arm closer to vertical; not very subtle!
    otherwise most of my googlies are just straightening out the angle of arm rotation in the delivery. as i bowl quite close to the stumps anyway, i can't really get more in line to get more effect from this straightening.

    oh well, cest la vie!
    if it was easy, every numpty would do it.

    i hope your season is staying dry, i have been very busy and not had a read in a while; nice to have some minions to keep it going here when i drop off. plus the AFL (football) season dominates in melbourne now so interest is low. i hope it picks up for the Ashes.

    atb
    stoph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stoph

    I reckon things will, there’s a forum I chat on a lot and currently any time you log in there’s only about 4 -10 people on line, but the site boasts a figure of 1560 members on line at one point at one time and we reckon that must have been during the world cup, so I’d imagine as the ashes arrives they’ll be heaps of people on-line.

    Your mate just needs to stop bowling them and then just look to bowl straight aiming to get the palm of his hand and the under-side of his wrist facing the batsman at release. For me when I started to recover my leg break this felt like the most alien thing ever but over the months it’s slowly bit by bit come back and I reckon I’ll have a half decent leg break as I said in about a month or so if I get the practice in.

    Yeah like you I now have to put more effort in to my wrong un, the shoulder dips and as you say it’s obvious, but at club level I’m not so sure that many batsmen would look and read this?

    Dry today but no doubt it’ll rain at the weekend!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete